Keep in mind there is no one set way of learning how to write a song, every songwriter has a different process, but for the sake of the beginner I’m going to explain one way how to write songs. Then as you begin to write more and more you will find your own method that works best for you.
Step 1. What do you want to write about?
Before you start messing around with chords and melodies, Ii is helpful to have an idea of what you want to write about, this will help you stay focused on one subject and keeps your song from veering off into too many directions.
You should be able to sum up what your song is about in one short sentence. For example, “A relationship that’s on the rocks” or “cheating girlfriend, begging for me back”.
Knowing what theme your song is based around is the first step in learning how to write a song, it will help with the future steps of choosing chords and melodies. For instance, if your song is sad you would tend to use more minor chords and melodies constructed using the minor scale.
Step 2. Get A Chord Progression
So now that you know what you want to write about it’s time to get a chord progression together. You have two options.
1. Play the same chords for the entire song i.e. same chords for verse, chorus etc.
2. Play different chords for verse, chorus, bridge etc.
Both options work perfectly and many successful songs have been written using both methods.
Step 3. Creating A Melody
Try to write your melody, well at least a rough version of your melody out first. The reason for this is that when you have a melody sometimes the lyrics just write themselves, certain words have a natural rhythm and melodic tone.
Coming up with a melody is easy enough. Just play your chord progression and hum notes over it. You start to hear a melodic phrase come to life. Sometimes it might take a couple of re-writes but keep at it until you find something you’re happy with.
Step 4. Add lyrics To Your Melody
It’s time to bring your melody to life by adding lyrics which is in your own hands and imagination.
Learning how to write a song is a very individual process so just trust your process and let your creativity flow. There is no right or wrong way of how to write a song so just practice different songwriting techniques and with time, trial and error, you will find your own way of writing songs.
You can learn how to create your own rap beats and sell them on the internet if you have a big imagination and tons of creativity. In order to make rap beats, it also requires a good ear for music.
The technology we have today makes it so easy to make instrumentals. All you really need is a computer and internet connection and you can make beats, then make money selling them if they are good!
You will need to choose a program to make your beats with and make sure that the one you choose is understandable and easy to use for you. Ableton Live, Fruity Loops, Reasons, and Audacity are a few music making programs that can help you as a beginner. These can be downloaded directly from the internet. There are many to choose from but these programs are at the top of the list. They are user-friendly and will help you create quality music.
Fruity Loops is the easiest program to use out of all of the programs listed above.Fruity Loops is one of the most simplest programs to use when making instrumentals. The interface is very user friendly and the help files are easy to understand if you have any questions! If you have trouble with trying to use the program there are several hundred youtube videos on this program which will make using it a piece of cake!
When it comes to selling your beats online you need to keep a few things in mind before you start:
A good selection of beats is a must! Listen to different artists and find a beats that you like and start creating your instrumentals from there. Beats are usually 4-8 measures in length and are played through the whole song. You will need to tighten up the instrumental after you have arranged and assembled your notes to it. You will need to think of a title and think of what you want to tell your audience with this beat. Make it like a story when making your beats. That way it will be more appealing to the people who you want to buy your beats.
When you are done making your beats, you are now ready to sale your product! You can create your own website or have your beats placed on a site that allows people to have their rap beats for sale. It is completely up to you now that you have the knowledge, technology, and ability to create your own beats! Make good beats!
Today I’m going to give you 4 websites that will boost your fan base immediately! If you are a rising music artist there is a demand on you to use the internet as a tool to get your music out to the world for more people to hear it! Most likely all of your new awaiting fans are already online everyday looking to hear new music like yours. There is no quicker way to build a fan-base then by getting on websites that will help you promote your brand and music.
1. Facebook- Facebook is the most popular website on the internet right now with millions of people flooding it everyday to see whats new. You are probably use to getting on there yourself to see what your friends are up to. This site is the top place you need to promote your music at because of its popularity and ease of use. All you have to do is create and set up a fan page. The best thing about it is it’s totally FREE! You can invite as many people as you’d like to join your fan base including your friends. I highly suggest setting up shop on this site.
2. Twitter- When you think of twitter you might not think of it as a place to promote yourself because you are simply updating your status. The secret is that twitter is a great place to promote your music to people around the world and capturing new fans! You can keep all of your fan’s updated on your latest singles, new album releases, debuts, and mix tapes! The best thing about twitter is it’s user friendly interface and on top of that its FREE to sign up as well!
3. Myspace- I know a few people claim that Myspace is dead but in actuality there are millions of people, A&R’s, and ton’s of other music artists who still use Myspace to find new talent and share their music daily. This website is FREE and a great place to network with other artists.
4. ReverbNation-This site is fairly new compared to the one’s I mentioned above but thousands upon thousands of people swarm this site on a regular basis to share their music. One of the great features about this site is that you have the opportunity to book yourself for shows that ReverbNation offers you on a regular basis. Some of these shows can be local with pay and some are free and international. In your case exposure is exposure and you might want to check this site out!
Now get yourself to a computer and start standing out form the rest today by setting up an account on these sites! All of them are FREE! You will be happy you made the decision.